What is the easiest way to get to the Dolomites?
How do we get to the Dolomites?
The most ideal travel itineraries, train or bus stops and airports depend on the vacation destination.
How do I get to the Dolomites by train?
There are train stations in Bolzano, Ponte Gardena, Chiusa, Bressanone, Brunico...
The accommodation you have chosen for your holiday can tell you which is the most suitable station. The onward journey is usually by bus or taxi.
Italian railways timetable: https://www.trenitalia.com
Austrian railways: https://www.oebb.at
German railways: https://www.bahn.de
Bus services in South Tyrol bus timetable: https://sad.it
Arrival by car
The holiday region "Val Gardena" can be reached via the Brenner motorway A22, leaving at the exit Klausen (Chiusa) and taking the SS242d national road after 22km and 30 minutes (*) we reach the first village of Ortisei; after still 5 km you arrive in Santa Cristina and then after 3 km Selva di Val Gardena.
The holiday region "Alta Badia" can be reached by taking the A22 Brennero motorway, exiting at Bressanone - Val Pusteria and taking the E66 road, after approx. 23 km and (*) 23 minutes, just before San Lorenzo you have to take the SS244, towards Val Badia, until you reach, after another 28 km, La Villa. From here to Corvara there are still about 4.5 km and to Colfosco 6.5 km.
The holiday region "Seiser Alm" can be reached via the Brenner motorway A22, taking the exit Bolzano Nord from the south and driving the SS12 to Blumau and then the LS24. After 13 km / (*) 17 minutes you reach Fiè allo Sciliar, after another 7 km / (*) 8 minutes Siusi, after 3 km / (*) 5 minutes Castelrotto. Coming from the north on the A22 motorway you exit at Chiusa and take the SS12 to Ponte Gardena, from here you reach after 17 km / (*) 20 minutes Castelrotto.
Where do you fly into for Dolomites?
Many airports are located around the Dolomites. Which airport is suitable for which holiday area depends on the destination.
For an arrival by plane to Val Gardena, Alta Badia, Alpe di Siusi are the nearest airports:
....attached as an example you will also find the average travel times by car from the airport to Val Gardena
- Airport Bolzano / Bozen (BZO) ca. 40 km - (*) 50 min to Val Gardena
- Airport Innsbruck (INN - Austria) via the A22 motorway (exit Chiusa/Klausen) ca. 115 km - (*) 1 h 30 min to Val Gardena
- Airport Verona Villa Franca (VRN) - via the A22 motorway (exit Bolzano Nord) ca. 190 km - (*) 2 h to Val Gardena
- Airport Venice Marco Polo (VCE) - via the A4 motorway to Verona and the A22 motorway (exit Bolzano Nord) ca. 310 km - (*) 3 h 15 min to Val Gardena
- Airport Bergamo (BGY) - via the A4 motorway to Verona and the A22 motorway (exit Bolzano Nord) ca. 290 km - (*) 3 h to Val Gardena
- Airport Milan Linate (LIN) - via the A35 motorway to Brescia, the A4 motorway to Verona and the A22 motorway (exit Bolzano Nord) ca. 305 km - (*) 3 h 15 min to Val Gardena
- Airport Milan Malpensa (MXP) - via the A4 motorway to Verona and the A22 motorway (exit Bolzano Nord) ca. 355 km - (*) 3 h 45 min to Val Gardena
- Airport Bologna (BLQ) - via the A1 motorway to Modena and the A22 motorway (exit Bolzano Nord) ca. 410 km - (*) 4 h to Val Gardena
- Airport Salzburg (SZG - Austria) - via the Brennero motorway A22 (exit Chiusa/Klausen) ca. 285 km - (*) 3 h 15 min to Val Gardena
- Airport Munich (MUC - Germany) - via Brennero motorway A22 (exit Chiusa/Klausen) ca. 310 km - (*) 3 h 20 min to Val Gardena
The nearest airports to Cortina d'Ampezzo are:
- Treviso (TSF), bus transfer to Cortina
- Venice Marco Polo (VCE), bus transfer to Cortina
- Verona (VRN)
(*) All times are average travel times with low traffic.
Traffic congestion can occur, which sometimes causes delays of several hours. Please make a generous calculation of your travel time and verify the traffic at www.autobrennero.it and also at maps.google.com.
Arrival by helicopter
Local helicopter companies provide national and international flights to various destinations, hotels and airports.
The advantage is to reduce travel time between airports and hotels (helicopter speed higher than 220 km/h) as well as to avoid winding roads or traffic on alpine passes. Helicopter tours and sight-seeing flights of the Dolomites are also available.